What are the advantages of laser cutting of aramid (Kevlar ® or Nomex ®)?
- No fabric distortion due to contactless laser cutting
- Precise cutting of very filigree details
- Less cleaning effort due to reduced dust development during cutting
- No tool wear – steady high cutting quality
- No downtimes through tool change
- Processing in all directions – independent of fabric structure
What added value have eurolaser cutter for cutting of textile processing?
Material information for the laser cutting of aramid (Kevlar ® or Nomex ®):
Aramid is a golden-yellow, organic synthetic fibre, the strands of which are extremely stable and flexible and can therefore only be mechanically cut (e.g. with a scissor or a knife) with difficulty or with great effort. In spite of this high stability, this organic synthetic fibre can be cut with a laser without difficulty. This has the particular advantage of non-contact processing. The absence of material warping enables exact contours and accurate detail cuts to be produced at high process speeds. In compound form, aramid compounds are distinguished by particular characteristics. Aramid has a high strength and vibration absorption and is highly resistant to alkalis, acids and heat. Due to these characteristics, aramid fibers are mainly used in demanding security applications. Typical applications for laser cutting of aramid are bullet-proof vests, cut resistant clothing and technical components in vehicle construction.