What advantages have laser cutting of polyimide (PI)?
- Precision in the µm range
- No material fixation necessary due to vacuum table
- No flaking of the material as is the case with punching due to contact-free and force-free processing
- No knife cleaning – no sticking of the single parts after cutting
- No tool wear and thus, a constantly high cutting quality
- High flexibility in contour – without tool preparation or tool changes
What added value have eurolaser cutter?
Material information for laser cutting of polyimide (PI):
Polyimides are often used in the form of thin, semi-transparent flexible circuit boards but also for the isolation layers of energy storage cells and for insulation applications in alternative energy technologies. Polyimide is also used in fibre form for filtering gases. Its outstanding material properties and high temperature resistance make both extremely low and high temperature applications possible (-256° to 400°C), the reason it is so widely used in the aerospace sector. Kapton films can be laminated, metallised or coated with adhesives. Laser processing generally takes place after the electronic components are mounted and often in combination with other substrates or films.