The software pitfall
Watch out! New operating system brings production to a halt.
“No we cannot install Windows 7 on our computers, our laser systems unfortunately only work with Windows XP.” Such or similar complaints are heard regularly from people interested in laser systems giving voice to their frustration. The same question arises time and again: “Why should the operating system effect the functioning of the production system?”The answer is clear for us: “It should have no effect at all!”
What consequences are in store for you if your laser system software is no longer compatible with the latest operating systems:
- Problems with the network connection
- Updates on the new operating system cause disruptions
- Higher additional costs for installation and system tuning
- No longer any support for the old software (e.g. Windows XP)
- No new hardware available with old software
- Use of “outdated” operating system impacts other installed applications (e.g. security software etc.)
It is therefore of vital importance that the software of your laser system is so flexible that new operating systems can be installed without you having to worry about your production systems continuing to function.
eurolaser has always taken this aspect into consideration.
You can still operate our laser systems today with the very latest software, even if you installed them in the last millennium.
This future-proof orientation of the interfaces brings decisive advantages:
- Many years of usability
- Flexible integration into existing IT systems
- Compatibility with the latest software upgrades
- Open software structure
- High conservation of value
Read this report to find out why such problems continue to arise on the market and how to avoid such pitfalls in future before buying a laser system.
In just a few year’s time the software, the operating system on your computer for example, will have been updated and a new version will become the standard. This means that new computers will only be available with the new software version and support for the old version will gradually be discontinued. This is a decisive point when investing in a production system and should be carefully considered before any purchase is made. After all you expect your production system to continue functioning properly for more than just 3-4 years. And anyway you should choose your IT equipment in accordance with your requirements and not in accordance with its compatibility with your laser system.
It is to be expected that giant software manufacturers like Microsoft with its Windows operating system will gradually cut back their support for older systems and in the worst case scenario discontinue it altogether. New computers will only be sold with the new versions. But what will you do if your laser system software can only be operated with an obsolete operating system? That is the question! A huge problem is concealed here, and a potentially expensive one at that!
But it is not only the compatibility of the software that is relevant, equally important is simple integration into existing process flows within the company. Use of all standard file formats (e.g. dxf, ai, bmp, pdf, jpeg) makes it easier to integrate the laser system into conventional corporate processes. This presents no problem for eurolaser thanks to its open software structure. In addition data from a RIP software can be adopted simply for cutting contours. Thanks to always having the latest driver, the laser system can be operated from every PC.
- Check the flexibility of the control software / device driver carefully before you make a purchase
- The software should function independently of the operating system
- Ask specifically how future-proof the software is
- Think about compatibility with data processing (e.g. graphics programs)